In the most recent issue of its It’s Your Health newsletter, Health Canada examines questions about the safety of compact fluorescent lightbulbs (CFLs). In regard to fears regarding electromagnetic fields, the agency reports that at a distance of 30 centimeters from the lamp, EM exposure is well below accepted limits. The two areas of concern are the ultra-violet light produced, and the mercury the bulbs contain. While the exposure to the ultra-violet light produced by CFLs should present no problem for the average user, they can aggravate the symptoms of persons suffering from lupus or another auto-immune disease or certain skin conditions. The mercury presents no problems unless the bulb is accidentally broken in which case children and pets must be kept from the area until a careful cleanup has taken place. Broken or non-working bulbs should be disposed of following the procedures recommended by Environment Canada.See the entire article on the Health Canada website.